This is Susan's favorite cake, so I try to make it for her birthday.
I found this recipe in The New Basics Cookbook.
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups corn oil
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups shelled walnuts, chopped
1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
1 1/3 cups pureed cood carrots
3/4 cup drained curshed pineapple
confectioners' sugar for dusting top
10 to 12 portions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 9-inch layer cake pans lined with wax paper.
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl. Add oil, eggs and vanilla. Beat well. Fold in walnuts, coconut, carrots and pineapple.
- Pour batter into the prepared pans. Set on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 30 to 35 min,
until edges have pulled away from sides and a cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Cool on a cake rack for 3 hours. Fill cake and frost sides with cream-cheese frosting. Dust top with confectioners' sugar.
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
6 tablespooons sweet butter, at room temperature
3 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
juice of 1/2 lemon (optional)
- Cream together cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl.
- Slowly sift in confectioners' sugar and continue beating until fully incorporated. Mixture should be free of lumps.
- Sir in vanilla, and lemon juice if you use it.